Job Summary: The Grounds Technician is responsible for Memorial Park maintenance, repairs and sanitation efforts at the direction of The Turf Care Supervisor. The Grounds Technician performs year-round care and maintenance of the Park’s landscape and grounds. The Grounds Technician will work interactively with The Turf Care Supervisor, Grounds Crew Leader, and Grounds Foreman as well as a team of gardeners, custodians, maintenance technicians and field staff. Base schedule: Monday – Friday 6:30 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.
Summary of Essential Job Functions:
- Perform landscape maintenance – Mowing, planting, transplanting, weeding, pruning, mowing, string trimming, seeding, fertilizing, irrigation, lawn renovations and restorations, mulching, and raking.
- Interact with Park patrons in a professional manner – provide accurate and pertinent information regarding the Memorial Park Conservancy and the Park.
- Report on productivity via regular verbal reporting to supervisors.
- Keep tools and supplies assigned to field operations in good working condition. Ensure equipment and materials are stored correctly.
- Regularly work with other staff and volunteers.
- Always prioritize safety; Ensures other team members are operating in a safe and responsible way.
- Recognize and report safety issues.
- Follow Conservancy rules, safety policies and procedures and appropriate use of personal protective equipment
- Perform operational duties – waste management, basic site furnishing repairs, trail maintenance, erosion control, sanitation services, and other operations as required.
- 1 year of experience with maintenance of landscape, turf care, ecological areas, public parks
- Experience with operating small power equipment, zero turn mowers, string trimmers, etc.
- Basic irrigation knowledge
- Must have a valid Texas driver’s license
- Knowledge of Memorial Park a plus
- Ability to perform heavy, physical labor on a daily basis in all weather conditions
- Ability to work a varied schedule with overtime including weekends, holidays, and evenings
- Ability to operate basic equipment such as chainsaws, mowers, string trimmers, etc.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision
- Ability to lift 80 lbs.
- Ability to operate tractors and heavy equipment
- Sufficient strength and manual dexterity to operate power equipment
- Ability to stand, crouch, and climb to use ladders and perform various types of manual labor
- Willing and able to work outdoors all year round
Safety Requirements: Establishment and maintenance of a safe work environment is the shared responsibility of this organization and employees at every level. The Conservancy will make every effort to assure a safe environment and be in compliance with federal, state, and local safety regulations. Employees are expected to obey safety rules and to exercise caution in all their work activities. Accordingly, employees should be aware of any hazards, which could cause an injury or accident (e.g., spills, obstacles in walkways). If an employee discovers a potential dangerous condition, he/she should alert other employees and notify his/her supervisor immediately.
Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
Compensation: This is an hourly non-exempt position. Benefits include full medical, dental and vision benefits, paid time off, short-term and long-term disability, continuing education allowance and 401k retirement plan.
To Apply: Please send resume and cover letter to email@example.com.