Native Horticulture Technician
Job Summary: Responsible for all aspects of horticulture care within assigned native landscapes in Memorial Park, as directed by the Landscape Manager and Horticulture Supervisor. The Native Horticulture Technician will work collaboratively with team members across all departments to ensure the proper care and proactive management of Memorial Park and reports to an assigned Crew Leader.
Specific duties include:
- Proactively maintain and enhance native landscapes through sustainable practices with a focus on invasive species control.
- Work in a wide range of native areas including rain gardens, bioswales, green walls, wetlands, pollinator beds, and savannahs on a regular basis.
- Anticipate and schedule seasonal work required to sustain assigned areas.
- Maintain accurate inventory of tools and supplies, notifying supervisor or crew leader when repairs are needed.
- Assist with Conservation, Grounds, and Operations programs as needed.
- Operate small and large equipment including utility vehicles, backpack blowers, string strimmer, edger, and others as needed.
- Assist with Trash and debris removal, sweeping and blowing of areas as needed.
- Communicate issues regarding infrastructure, furnishings, safety hazards, quality of the park user experience issues as needed.
- Interact with park users in a courteous and professional manner.
- Educational experience in Horticulture, Natural Science, Master Gardener or Master Naturalist programs, or related fields preferred.
- 1 or more years of professional experience in horticulture, native plant establishment, gardening, invasive species management, and/or propagation.
- Experience with gardening techniques and operation of associated equipment.
- Strong plant ID skills of native and invasive species in the Houston area.
- Strong communication and time management skills, highly motivated.
- Valid Driver’s License.
- Ability to perform heavy, physical labor daily in all weather conditions
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Ability to prioritize work functions and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to lift 50 lbs. repeatedly throughout a given workday.
- Ability to operate power equipment throughout a workday.
- Ability to stand, crouch, and climb to use ladders and perform various types of manual labor throughout the day.
Safety Requirements: Establishment and maintenance of a safe work environment is the shared responsibility of this organization and employees at every level. The Conservancy will make every effort to assure a safe environment and be in compliance with federal, state, and local safety regulations. Employees are expected to obey safety rules and to exercise caution in all their work activities. Accordingly, employees should be aware of any hazards, which could cause an injury or accident (e.g., spills, obstacles in walkways). If an employee discovers a potentially dangerous condition, he/she should alert other employees and notify his/her supervisor immediately.
Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
Compensation: This is an hourly non-exempt position paying $14 – $16/hour based on relevant experience. Benefits include full medical, dental and vision benefits, paid time off, short-term and long-term disability and 401k retirement plan.
To Apply: Please send resume and cover letter along with two references to Careers@memorialparkconservancy.org