Job Summary: Responsible for improvements and maintenance of Memorial Park Conservancy’s Greenhouse and Native Plan Grow Out Area, as directed by the Conservation Director. Work with Conservation Director to coordinate the Native Plant Grow Out Program, which allows partners to utilize facilities to propagate native plants. Coordinate with other Conservancy departments to ensure appropriate inventory. Oversee volunteers to propagate native plants for use in Memorial Park.
Specific duties include:
- Maintaining Native Plant Grow Out facilities, including greenhouse, lath house, tree nursery, wetlands nursery areas
- Monitor and regulate plant irrigation systems and environmental controls
- Ensure the highest standard of safety. Meet any applicable OSHA standards and ensure those working in the area use appropriate personal protective equipment.
- Inspect facilities and equipment and report to Conservation Director any improvements that are required.
- Coordinate repairs with Parkwide Support department or contractors, as needed to complete work
- Collaborate with regional non-profit organizations to implement the Native Grow Out Cooperative
- Maintain and coordinate an inventory of all plants within the greenhouse, lath house, and nursery areas
- Maintain records and complete reports, including plant inventory, propagation schedules, safety compliance, pesticide/fertilizer/compost tea
- Source and coordinate seed, live stake, cutting collection efforts by Conservancy staff to increase native habitat biodiversity within the Park
- Maintain a propagation and plant maintenance guide for the Conservancy
- Training, scheduling, supervising staff, seasonal employees, and volunteers to maintain standards of care for the Greenhouse and Lath House areas
- Ensure that the area is kept visually appealing, and that trash and debris are removed
- Keep inventory and coordinate maintenance of tools and supplies assigned to Native Plant Grow Out Program
- Bachelor’s degree (BA) from four-year college or university in biology, botany, horticulture, ecology, or related field
- Experience with native plant propagation and maintenance
- Experience with greenhouse and irrigation maintenance
- Strong communication skills; highly motivated
- Pesticide Applicator License is preferred
- Licensed Irrigation Technician is preferred
- Valid Driver’s License
- Ability to perform heavy, physical labor on a daily basis in all weather conditions
- Ability to work independently and be versatile and perform more than one task at a time, transferring attention from one task to another frequently
- Ability to lift 50 lbs
- Sufficient strength and manual dexterity to operate power equipment
- Ability to stand, crouch, and climb to use ladders and perform various types of manual labor
Establishment and maintenance of a safe work environment is the shared responsibility of this organization and employees at every level. The Conservancy will make every effort to assure a safe environment and be in compliance with federal, state, and local safety regulations. Employees are expected to obey safety rules and to exercise caution in all their work activities. Accordingly, employees should be aware of any hazards, which could cause an injury or accident (e.g., spills, obstacles in walkways). If an employee discovers a potentially dangerous condition, he/she should alert other employees and notify his/her supervisor immediately.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
This is salaried, exempt position. Benefits include full medical, dental and vision benefits, paid time off, short-term and long-term disability, continuing education allowance and 401k retirement plan.
To Apply: Please send resume and cover letter along with two references to Careers@memorialparkconservancy.org